7.25.2006

Microsoft hates money

Following up on my previous (and boring, probably, to most people) post, Darrell Waltrip did okay in the Busch race. He started 37th and despite a record number of caution periods he raced his way into the top 20 before some dumbass ran all over him. He had a good showing though, so I was happy.

I had a really good weekend. Friday Erin was off so we went out and saw Monster House, which was pretty good. We also went by the mall and to O'Charley's to eat where I had the most delicious steak I've had since...well probably the last time I went to O'Charley's. I'm not sure what they do to make their steaks so good, and maybe I don't really want to know, but whatever it is I hope they keep doing it.

Saturday Wes came by and let me know he was trying to get enough people together to do a Halo 2 LAN. He came back later that night to pick me up, and I even got Erin to come along too. We had 8 people in all, until Garrett left and we had 7 for the rest of the night, which was pretty good. Erin, who really hasn't played the game very much at all and never competatively, even won a few rounds of Fiesta Survivor including an overall match, so that was pretty awesome. Wes's brother mostly kicked everyone's ass, like he usually does.

Afterwards Erin, Wes and I all went to Perkins to grab something to eat, at about 3 in the morning. I completely forgot it was Saturday night and when we got there the placed was absolutely packed-- mostly with drunk people. I think I remember one guy dancing and/or singing, and at one point we thought there was a fight going on outside. At Perkins.

Then yesterday, still fresh off of the LAN party Erin decided she wanted to play Halo 2 some more so that she could get better before we have the next LAN party. So we went out and got a used Xbox, and extra controller, Halo 2, and Crimson Skies. Since it was used, the guy that owned it before us already had Xbox Live installed. So we tried to make a new XBL account using the aptly named "New Account" option. Everything went smoothly until we got to a section that asked for a "subscription code." Simply having a credit card and a willingness to give that information to Microsoft in exchange for something they have, you want, and that they can deviler digitally does not make you good enough for an XBL account. No, you have to go out to a retail store and purchase a "subscription card" (which I thought was just for people who didn't have a CC) in either a 3 or 12 month form. What happenes when your 3 or 12 month subscription runs out? They charge your credit card. They just won't do it intially, so you still need to have one despite buying a stupid subscription card. And it can't be an Xbox 360 sub. card either, those are different. The stores nearby are out of subscription cards? Well too bad, you can't get online. And most places around here ARE out of orginal Xbox Live subscription cards. EB has some 12-month ones for $50 and Best Buy had a 12-month Starter Kit (comes with a headset) for $70, but after buying all the other stuff I mentioned, Erin wasn't about to dish out that much more money...she wanted to buy this month, this month. And next month's, next month. Luckily, Toys R Us was having a nationwide clearance on a bunch of game-related items, one being a 3-momth XBL Starter Kit w/ headset for $9.98. I didn't think they'd have any left since it started on 07/11, but Erin stopped by on the way home from work yesterday, and sure enough, they had a bunch left.

So...I'm on Xbox Live now. Me and Erin are currently sharing an account, and since she's paying for it she chose the gamertag, which is "GoatS1ayer" (incase you can't tell the "l" in the name is actually the number "1"). So if you read this, feel free to send me a friend invite if you want. When I get some money I suppose I'll make my own seperate account and she'll keep this one.

That's pretty much it. I'm back to work on my game, which STILL isn't quite to alpha yet. Everything involved in the development is so unpredictable since I've never been through the process before, so I'm sucking ass at giving aproximations of milestones. But that's something for my developer blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home